Requested post from blog reader Andreea.
I have wrestled with adult acne since my late teens. At 32, my skin has improved tremendously, but I still get occasional spots on my jawline. However, my biggest skin concern is the hyperpigmentation scars from years of acne. Over the years, I have tried a few different products and skincare routines to fade the acne scars and keep my acne at bay, but none was as successful as my current skincare routine!
- I cleanse my face with the Acne.org cleanser. A mild cleanser that I have been using since 2016. It cleans my skin without drying it out.
- I then apply the Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide I have also been using this since 2016. Before adding serums to my skincare routine I used to apply Benzoyl Peroxide in the evening as well. This product is amazing for my skin, spots go away faster and it has immensely decreased my acne breakouts.
- Finally, I apply Nivea Sun Protect & Moisture 30 (Intense Hydration) sunscreen (even in winter). My skin cannot handle both sunscreen and moisturiser which is why moisturiser is not part of my morning skincare routine.
- After cleansing, I alternate between The Ordinary’s Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% and Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. I have been using both serums since January to help fade my hyperpigmentation marks. The AA 8% and AA 2% is aimed at lightening dark spots whilst also improving the radiance of the skin (contains Vitamin C). The Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% helps with congestion, oil-control, minimizes pores and reduces redness. In only six months my skin has improved drastically!
- The switch to The Ordinary’s serums has been the best skincare decision I have ever made and wish I had known about their products earlier. Previously I had been using SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic. C E Ferulic made my skin so soft and radiant, but it didn’t dramatically reduce my hyperpigmentation scars which were my main skincare concern. Which is why I decided to try The Ordinary’s range of skincare products.
- After applying serum I use The Ordinary’s Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA. It’s non-greasy, hydrating, made for all skin types and does not cause any irritation.
- Once a week I use the Salicylic Acid 2% Masque (also from The Ordinary). It targets the textural irregularities in my skin. After I’ve removed the mask I apply the Ascorbic Acid 8% + Alpha Arbutin 2% serum and the Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA.
That’s my skincare routine! It’s not fancy and my skin is far from perfect, but it’s improving every day 🥰
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Great post and thank you for sharing! I too struggle with my skin and am in my 30s as well, great to hear that the Ordinary products work for you. I have only tried a couple of their items and am yet to find the perfect routine.-By the way, I cannot see any of your posts after spring 2020 on my iMac, I was lucky to check again using a PC. What could be the matter with my device? All the best from Finland, Andreea
Francesca Brembilla says
Thank you Steffy for sharing your skincare routine with us. It seems that we are very similar under this aspect too! ☺️ I have suffered from adult acne too and l have tried many products to solve the issue. I have been visiting a dermatologist and he has helped me a lot. Basically I use the same products you do but from a different Italian pharmaceutical brand. I hope our skins will get better and better! Ciao cara
Steffys Style says
Hi Francesca, I am glad to read that you have also found products that work for you ☺️ Hope that you are doing well!
Francesca Brembilla says
It hasn’t been easy and sometimes my skin reacts badly but I am proud to say that it is fine now. I hope that you are doing well too. Ciao from Lake Como